FALL SEMESTER 2022 – UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY
Architectural design studio introducing students to collaboration with interdisciplinary consultants and the integration of building systems. Project deals with addressing topographic site planning issues, a complex architectural program, and assessing the associated client-user needs. Follows a project-based approach with a final presentation to a professional jury.
Click on the links below to download specific course documents.
- Course Syllabus / Schedule (PDF)
- PROJECT 1: Meditation Garden
- PROJECT 2: Abrahamic Sacred Architecture
- Design Brief (PDF)
- Pre-Design Phase (PDF)
- Schematic Design Phase (PDF)
- Design Development Phase (PDF)
- Synthesis and Evaluation Phase (PDF)
See Pre-Design phase document for full reading list.
- Edward Allen and Joseph Iano. The Architect’s Studio Companion: Rules of Thumb for Preliminary Design, 6th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2017.
- “An Expanded Morphology of Ritual Architectural Priorities,” in Lindsay Jones, The Hermeneutics of Sacred Architecture: Experience, Interpretation, Comparison. 2 vols, Religions of the World (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2000), 2:295-332. Link to PDF
- Ware, William R. The American Vignola: A Guide to the Making of Classical Architecture. New York: Dover, 1994. Older edition PDFs available online: (Book 1) https://archive.org/details/cu31924091026504/page/n1 (Book 2) https://archive.org/details/americanvignola00vigngoog/page/n5