FALL SEMESTER 2021 – UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY
Analysis of architecture and the built environment through graphic techniques using two- and three-dimensional sketching, analysis, and digital tools. This course will build on classical proportions and rendering techniques.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Ability to develop formal analysis drawings
- Ability to develop spatial diagrams to describe a building or place
- Development of architectural vocabulary especially as it relates to classical elements
- Ability to diagram and employ classical proportions
- Development of graphic communication techniques
Click on the links below to download specific course documents.
- Syllabus / Schedule (PDF)
- Course Assignments Packet (PDF)
- Includes information about Projects and Weekly Exercises
Required Texts to be Purchased by Student
- Lewis, Karen. Graphic Design for Architects: A Manual for Visual Communication. New York: Routledge, 2015.
- Fletcher, Margaret. Visual Communication for Architects and Designers: Constructing the Persuasive Presentation. New York: Routledge, 2021.
Required Articles/Chapters provided by Instructor
- Ackerman, James S. “The Conventions and Rhetoric of Architectural Drawing,” in Conventions of Architectural Drawing: Representation and Misrepresentation, ed. James S. Ackerman and Wolfgang Jung (Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2000), p.9-36.
- Ching, Francis D.K. Design Drawing. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- Harbeson, John F. The Study of Architectural Design: With Special Reference to the Program of the Beaux-Arts Institute of Design. New York: W.W. Norton, 2008.
- Laseau, Paul. Graphic Thinking for Architects and Designers. 2nd ed. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1989.
- McGoodwin, Henry. Architectural Shades and Shadows. Boston: Bates & Guild, 1904. PDF available online: https://archive.org/details/cu31924015333770/page/n5/mode/2up
- Ware, William R. The American Vignola: A Guide to the Making of Classical Architecture. New York: Dover, 1994. Older edition PDFs available online: (Book 1) https://archive.org/details/cu31924091026504/page/n1 (Book 2) https://archive.org/details/americanvignola00vigngoog/page/n5